Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Es Schneit

26 November Tuesday

remember what Tuesdays are?..
that's right.  THE LONGEST DAY OF THE WEEK.
Jordan knows.

We met at 10:00 on the street for Art History with professor Kröll.  We took the D strassenbahn to the Belvedere museum.  This is maybe the most famous in all of Vienna!  I was so happy that we got to go for class.  There are two parts to the museum--the upper and lower.  We went to the upper.  The Belvedere used to be a summer home for Prince Eugene.  The lower building is actually where he would stay, and the upper building was built more grand and larger as a place to welcome visitors, have meetings, and to host parties and social events.

WELL, IT WAS SNOWING TODAY.
 Prof. Kröll teaching us out in the freezing cold outside the upper Belvedere palace 
 Renoir
 some beautiful impressionism
 Monet
Kokoshka - a view of Prague (I've been there!)
 Monet
 Gustav Klimt - The Kiss
This painting is SO FAMOUS here...every Vienna souvenir shop you go into has SOMETHING with the print of these patterns on it...mugs, scarves, teddy bears, pens, ANYTHING.  It is so beautiful, isn't it?
 Blessed to see some Schiele work...a family during the time of WWI
 Schiele - Embrace
 Schiele - Death and the Woman
 Schiele
 Schiele
 Kilmt
 Klimt

Klimt & Schiele were best friends.  Schiele was younger and therefore learned from Klimt.  They died the same year.  Egon Schiele is my favorite artist.  I talked about this all when I went to the Leopold museum here in Vienna which holds the largest collection of Schiele in the world.  It was amazing.
 Sooo yeah it was snowing outside.  And Christmas markets were being set up.  And we were in a palace.  Filled with famous, beautiful artwork.  Yeah, today was good.
 So there were a few rooms that were closed for renovation today...but I knew that there were two famous Schiele paintings in there--a self portrait and a portrait of his wife.  I asked one of the guards when the work would be finished, and he said tomorrow!  So Mara and I went to the ticket office, and since she is fluent in German, she asked the lady if there was any way we could see this room tomorrow, and she called somebody, and said we could!  So I'm going to go back tomorrow and check out those Schiele portraits.  THANK YOU MARA!

So I had a classy lunch today...I went to the grocery store and tried a new fresh fruit drink: orange + berry + mint.  SO GOOD.  I bought a bag of noodles + sauce for 1.99.....there is a stove at the school we can use.  I don't know how much 1/2 liter looks like really, and there aren't measuring cups anyways, so I put in way too much water!  I made a soup instead of a pasta...but hey it was still yummy.

 After classes (German, and then history...), Kimber, Tanner, Garrison, Klint and I went to one of the Christmas markets at Karlskirche.  IT SURE WAS SNOWING THE WHOLE TIME!  I love it.  It was actually really cold though...it gets super windy here for some reason.
 These mini-chandiliers hold a single candle and they are BEAUTIFUL!  Pretty expensive, though.
 My wedding ring is going to look similar to these at the top, except gold.
 The little animals slide out of the trees!!  SO cute!

Abendessen!!

 She rings this bell to us when dinner is ready! 
 Celery soup.  Better than it sounds.
 In the soup we had: leek, and celery ROOT (in her hand, she let us taste a bite), and the leafy part of the celery.  But not the stock.  And ginger, always.
 THIS WAS OUR DINNER!  A VEGETABLE CAKE!  Frau Feest is SO DANG HEALTHY it is hilarious.  There was meat in here though, AND PRUNES, so that's good.  It was actually delicious.  I asked her if she has a cook book or if she cooks from her head, and she said no recipe, her mom used to make this.  I want to write her a note and ask her for some certain recipes....I want to know the soup recipes so bad!
 I can't remember what this is called...it isn't quinoa but like it??  Maybe it is quinoa.
 dessert!: applesauce with a little cream and a drop of jam.  And these seed things that are delicious. Every time I eat them I hear Laura's voice saying, "Mom!  I'm not a BIRD!"
Dinner went great.  I feel like I could talk to her easier!  I told her that Mom is in Africa, in Mali.  She said, that isn't a tourist place...?  And I said, "Nein, sie hilfst die Kinder."  She asked if she was a doctor.  It all got confusing.  I can't remember what we talked about, but it was good!

Tomorrow we have a lot of time in the morning to do stuff, and I have a lot planned.  It blows my mind how soon we are leaving, and I hate that I am thinking about travel plans coming home, but my planning mind can't help it.

Barb's instagram post was too funny....oh bopaloo.  But, my vegetable cake beats Cafe Rio any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment